Reading the Dyer essay, the biggest thing that I took away was how people like to stereotype people into set social categories but the reality is that these categories are actually fluid. It made me think about how someone would categorize me if they just saw pictures of me. If they saw these pictures, would they think that I am a jock and therefore probably not smart? Would they see that I am going to a good college and therefore are most likely smart? Would they see that I am playing Division 3 sports and think that I am not actually a good athlete? Would they look at me and say that I am too short or too white or not skinny enough and therefore not beautiful enough? I think Dyer makes a really good point that these categories are fluid because any number of these things could actually be true all at the same time and I think if everyone realized this then we would in turn realize that we are all more alike than we think and are differences are not what divides us but what can make us stronger together.


No comments:
Post a Comment